Wednesday, June 16, 2010


Another beautiful day! Last night we were so encouraged that a group of guys from our church came out to Westmead to pray with Adam, and I even got to go to the second last night of my upholstery course. It was nice to have a little bit of time out, thinking about chairs and fabric and things like that which I love. The other girls together with some cousins were in the capable hands of Adam's mum and dad, who do so much for us and our family and for whom we are very very grateful. Hope you've survived the day ok with 4 and then 5 grandchildren after Emma came home from school!


Lucy and I have had lots of visitors today too - thanks for coming Michelle, Karin, Jenny and Richard and Molly. We love seeing you, especially while Lucy is feeling so well at the moment.


It has been a good couple of days having Lucy off the lines completely. She is still in top form, smiling up a storm and impressing everyone (especially the physio) with all her tricks! The photo is of Lucy today with some of her new friends (from some other special friends who have visited and the lady in the volunteer shop who couldn't resist!). I was talking to the oncology team nurse today and she said that what they are really looking out for is a temperature - which may indicate an infection, and can make you quite sick. This is very common and I get the feeling it is pretty much to be expected. Anyway, so far so good!


I also had a haircut today which made me feel like a bit less of a cavewoman with crazy hair, curtesy of the Cure our Kids group I mentioned before - how amazing is that? Feeling a bit glam for the first time in a while! Now I just need a good frock and a party to go to. Oh well, Masterchef, and a foldout bed will have to do.... oh yes, with some chocolate from my very healthy stash!


Chatting with another parent today I was reminded how truly blessed Adam and I are in our family with each other and our 4 beautiful girls. Just before Lucy was diagnosed with leukemia I started reading the book of 2 Corinthians in the Bible. I haven't been looking at it in great depth or anything (my brain just wont cope with that!) rather just trying to get the gist of what is going on and try and work out the main idea or verse. Whilst our path through life has seemed and seems pretty rocky at times, it was grounding to read that "it is God who makes both you and us stand firm in Christ. He annointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come" (2 Cor 1:21). What a relief to know it's not all up to me, and to know that EVERYTHING is secure in him whatever happens. Such safety and rest. A guaranteed future. Certainty in the midst of this uncertain life. I pray that you too know this certainty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just loved spending time with you and Lucy today - what a clever little poppet for the physio and what precious smiles and twinkling eyes!! Thank you for the reminder that it is God who makes us stand firm and the certainty of His determination to do that is our hope for the future!! Lots of love. xx